START with Grant Agreement Preparation; kick-off organisation and setting up the decision-making/ communication/quality assurance and reporting systems
CONTINUE with continuous communication and monitoring; fulfilling the Horizon 2020 reporting requirements; solving all sorts of problems.
A few nightmare and success stories will be discussed during the role-play workshop - we show you what can go wrong. Our 15 running H2020 project guarantee that our trainers are the best to share their knowledge and experience.
We recommend this course to those who are involved in the everyday implementation and/or financial management of H2020 projects (for advanced level financial course, please check out our Horizon 2020 Master of Finance and Administration training course).
Why this course?
1. Lectures and practical workshops on H2020 project implementation and financial management
Experience Europa Media's unique "learning-by-doing" approach. Lectures and presentations with practical tips and stories are complemented by hands-on workshops and exercises throughout the two days.
Project Management and Technical Reporting
- Grant Agreement Preparation – road to success and things that could go wrong.
- Getting started – models on Consortium Agreement, advance payment, bank guarantees, and the kick-off meeting.
- IPR issues in practice – how to protect your background and how to benefit from the foreground.
- Technical reporting – how to fill in the online forms and compile the Part B of your report.
- Technical reviews – Get prepared for the best- and worst-case scenarios.
Workshop: Project Management Role-Play
Each participant will represent a beneficiary in a project which is facing various challenges. Your trainer will represent the European Commission, whose goal is to make sure that the project is implemented according to the GA. You will tackle – as a consortium or individually – challenges that frequently arise in an H2020 project: budget transfers, inadequate budget, poorly performing partner, conflicts on IPR, GA amendments, technical reviews, etc. All case studies are based on real issues which we went through in our past and ongoing H2020 projects as coordinator or partner. Learn by doing and learn from others!
Financial Management and Reporting
- Financial rules of Horizon 2020 – how to harmonise EU rules with your national taxation and internal accounting principles.
- Eligible and non-eligible costs, cost statements – upgrading your financial admin system.
- Different calculation methods for Personnel costs – employees and consultants.
- Allocation of Travel costs, Equipment, Other costs, and Overheads based on practical examples
- Subcontracting and third parties – how to avoid rejection of costs.
- Uploading reports to the Participant Portal – hints and tips to control your partners’ spending.
Workshop: Budget monitoring and financial reporting
You will go through specific exercises to simulate budget planning, budget monitoring and financial reporting in an H2020 project. You will tackle budget transfers and reallocations, controlling overspending, managing underspending and conducting reporting. You will prepare a financial statement for a virtual H2020 project based on specific project documentation with salary slips, invoices, receipts, timesheets and other proof of costs.
2. Trainers are actual H2020 Project Managers and Coordinators
This 2-day training course is built 100% on H2020 project experience and real-life examples. Our trainers and workshop leaders are flesh-and-bone project managers and coordinators, whose day-to-day work is to make sure that their multiple projects are implemented according to EC Grant Agreement, problems are promptly tackled, and project partners adequately assisted in legal, technical and financial management issues.
Over the years we have helped almost 1,000 project managers and coordinators in understanding the legal, technical and financial rules of the Research Framework Programme and managing European projects.
Is this training for me?
Over the past 14 years, our training courses have been attended by over 7,000 participants from leading research institutions, universities, SMEs, industry and other public and civil society organisations from all over Europe and beyond.
Feedback from previous participants show that this course is equally useful for
- Project managers and coordinators
- Research advisers, EU grant advisers
- Financial managers
- Grants offices, NCPs
- Public institutions
- Universities and research institutions
- SMEs and large companies
Thanks to our learning-by-doing approach and the unique workshops, participants with different backgrounds will meet all their expectations. One of the strengths of our courses is the diverse backgrounds of the participants, so we can all learn from each other’s different approaches and stories.
The training fee includes
- Training material in electronic format
- Coffee breaks and lunch at the venue
- Access to our My Trainings (downloadable background documentations, workshop materials, partner search)
- Access to Europa Media’s private LinkedIn group where you can ask our project managers any question you might have after the training
- Certificate of attendance
Accommodation is not included in the course price and should be arranged individually by the participants.
(To book a hotel room at the venue hotel, a booking form can be downloaded from the confirmation email received after registration.)
Standard rate: € 1,150
*5% transaction fee applies for Paypal and credit/debit cards