The future of EU funding entails various novelties. Not only all the research and innovation funding is being streamlined into Horizon 2020, but other EU funding schemes and support mechanisms are also undergoing certain changes with a view to simplification. The new Programme for the Competitiveness of Enterprises and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (COSME) aims at improving the business environment and the competitiveness of European enterprises. It will run from 2014 to 2020, with a planned budget of €2.5billion. Specifically, the COSME Programme will aim to:
- Facilitate access to finance for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs);
- Create an environment favourable to business creation and growth;
- Encourage an entrepreneurial culture in Europe;
- Increase the sustainable competitiveness of EU companies;
- Help small businesses operate outside their home countries and improve their access to markets.
The European Parliament and the Council will now discuss the Commission’s proposal for the COSME Programme. If adopted, it should start running from 1 January 2014.
Read more: http://ec.europa.eu/cip/cosme/index_en.htm